Slider

Total Truth // Friendship

March 27, 2014

Today's Total Truth Thursday is an open subject and I am so excited to share a little bit about one of the most important parts of my life. Friendship is so special to me and the ladies that the Lord has placed in my life are such a blessing and I honestly don’t know what I would do without them sometimes. I do not have biological sisters so for most of my teenage life and now adult life I have depended on my girlfriends for a lot of support. They have always been here for me and I hope to always be there for them in return. During the past 10+ years I have learned a lot about friendship and thought I’d be open and honest for today’s Total Truth Thursday and share some of what I have learned.


1// be intentional 
Being intentional with your friendships is one of the most important things you can do. Making sure they feel important in your life whether it is a simple text to say hello and let them know you are thinking about them or even sending them a simple card to say thank you for being a great friend (just for the record, I do not do this often enough!) will make them feel significant. Another way that I like to be purposeful with my friendships is to know what their love language is. Just like you want to feel loved in your own special way, so do your friends and that can make all the difference. Some may want words of encouragement and another may want a hug. Everyone is different and when you know what makes that person feel appreciated and loved then you will know how to love them better.

2// take a survey
This may seem a little odd but when I was preparing for this blog post I asked my three best friends what was the best part about being my friend. I didn’t do this to boost my ego but to understand what I do to make our friendship work. I have never asked that question before and it really helped me understand what I should keep doing to strengthen my friendship with each individual person. I am very lucky to have three best friends that all get along and love each other also but I think it is important to look at each friendship I have as an individual piece. We may blend together well which is a huge blessing but I want to make sure I am being the best friend I can to each person.

3// say no to drama
During my past years of friendships I have learned that a friendship with a lot of drama is not going to last very long. When you are open and honest with your friends and they are open and honest back, you are given a gift of transparency that can help you grow deeper roots within that friendship. This doesn’t mean that you all have to be the same person or that you will agree about everything. You aren’t going to find someone exactly like you, besides… how boring would that be? You will find others in different seasons of life and different personalities but that is such a fun part of friendship. It is in those types of relationships that you learn the most. You learn how to be there for one another, how to lift each other up and you also learn how to pray for each other. Praying for your friendship, their life and their walk with God. No drama, just friendship that is full of grace and love.

Friendship is such a gift and I thank God every chance I get for the three women I have in my life. I love you all so, so much and thank you for teaching me what friendship is all about.

Total Truth Thursday

You can check out my past Total Truth Thursday posts below!

4 comments:

Cassie Eliya said...

yea, it is hard to decide what drama is worth the time but I've found that if the friendship is strong enough then the drama will be worth it and normally the drama isn't based on the friendship itself... ya know? If there is drama in their life that doesn't pertain to me or our friendship then that just gives me an opportunity to be supportive and a reason to pray for a friend so that has always been worth it.
thank you for the comment!! :)

Cassie Eliya said...

I've always had a hard time dealing with drama. I just can't handle it. I think I'm too judgmental about the drama, and I can't see past it, and sometimes miss out on great friendships. Something I'm learning as I grow up! Ha!

Cassie Eliya said...

YOU are sweet!! :) thank you!
I met two of them in High School and just worked really hard to keep our friendship strong. They both have had their low points but I knew it was worth the work. The latest addition to the group (which has been several years ago now) grew up with my best friend so she was an easy addition! I've been really lucky to meet women that love the Lord and know how to be a great friend to me.

Cassie Eliya said...

You are the sweetest! I would love to know how you made your girlfriends and even how to be a good friend. I don't have close friends and I don't know if it is because I just haven't clicked with the right people or if I am missing out on something friends are supposed to do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan