Slider

Total Truth // Expectations

May 1, 2014

We all think we're going to be great.
And we feel a little bit robbed when our expectations aren't met.
But sometimes, our expectations sell us short.
Sometimes, the expected simply pales in comparison to the unexpected.
You gotta wonder why we cling to our expectations,
because the expected is just what keeps us steady.
standing.
still.
The expected is just the beginning.
The unpexpected is what changes our lives.

I’m a sucker for a good Grey’s Anatomy quote and that is one of my favorites. It is so true. We can expect whatever we want in life but the unexpected are the ones that make the mark in our lives. I agree with this quote above because I think that our expectations only create limits. I like to think that the unexpected is where God loves to surprise us with the real gift of His love. Continuing with my three topic system, I want to explain how I think the unexpected can be even better than our expectations!

the most wonderful planner EVER, my Erin Condren planner!

1// surprises are exciting
When we try to control the outcome of our plans we are only selling ourselves short. In my personal experience when I tried to make something happen that I knew deep down was not in my control, I was always left feeling stressed and worried. Every time I realize that I am not in control {HE is}, I eventually take a step back and then realize His plan is even more beautiful. I don't know why I'm continually surprised but it is always a wonderful surprise. This doesn't mean you will always get what you think you want but you will get what you need. Yes, just like the song... If you try sometimes, try meaning give it up to HIM, then you will always get what you need.

2// you can only plan so much
I am a planner. I like to write things down and know what is going on far in advance. If you looked in my planner then you would see blog posts that I am planning to write at the end of 2014. Yes, I am that kind of planner. Plans are great but I personally don't like to make plans in stone. I prefer the laid back type of planning without stressing to make the plans absolutely happen. White out pens are my friend. Life is way too short to plan every second, you will only miss the little things if you constantly think in the future. Being present in the NOW is the key to not living a life based on expectations.

3// prayer
This is the most important part about any expectations I've ever had. When I think I deserve something or I'm working hard for a goal I can always find the happiness I'm looking for when I sit down and talk to God about it. I've always been left feeling empty after those times that I've been selfish with my time and my efforts for something I thought I could create on my own. BUT when I take the time to lay everything at His feet, everything changes. I find peace. His perfect peace washes over me and I realize that everything is in His hands.

Life is just a big ball of events, some expected but most are unexpected & it always comes down to how you handle those unexpected surprises. The good, the bad, the crazy... all of it is in His plan and that makes me feel safe! 

Total Truth Thursday



Check out my past Total Truth posts below... 




2 comments:

Kelsea Conyers said...

I love that quote! I love the truth in this post- I want to be the kind of mom, wife, and woman in general who goes with the flow, who is relying on Christ for my needs instead of placing them on others inappropriately, and who doesn't take herself too seriously. I know so many people who really struggle when things don't go exactly as they expected, and I think marriage especially has taught me how problematic that kind of thinking can be. I'm a total Type A gal, and I love your "you can only plan so much" point because it's so true! I want to plan what I can, realize it may not always work out exactly that way, and be okay with change. Great post!

CassieEliya said...

Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely hard at times but letting go of some of our expectations makes the ride through life so much more enjoyable. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan