Slider

feeding a baby.

November 6, 2015

The love of nursing is something I prayed for a lot while I was pregnant. I wanted to really love it so I wouldn't second guess doing it. I wanted to do it well and not have problems with milk supply or any pain, I prayed for all those things.

After having Solomon, we couldn't leave the birth center until he had a good feeding. He did have a few quick sips, right after he was born in the bed during our skin to skin hour, but it was nothing substantial. A few hours later, after he had his first long snooze, he woke up hungry and he couldn't latch on. I tried to stay calm and not let my nerves get the best of me since he would feel that tension. The nurse was trying to help but there was no luck. I remember thinking, my nipples are broken, what is going on?? I had the fear of having to pump every meal for him and I was so afraid that I wasn't going to have the connection with Solomon that breast feeding gives. That relationship that I hoped and prayed for. Then the midwife gave me a nipple shield to try and help with the latch, my sweet hungry baby was happy at last. It was the best feeling and I was so thankful for that little piece of silicone. 


Feeding my little man has only gotten sweeter since that early morning at the birthing center. The shield is still needed, but after many conversations with lactation consultants, I've come to realize that the only thing that matters is my milk supply and his weight gain. As long as both of those things are not being compromised, I have nothing to worry about. This week Solomon is weighing over 12 lbs so I'm thankful that we aren't having any problems. 


It is true what they say about nursing, if you can make it through the first six weeks (AKA, the first growth spurt when they want to eat every hour for several days!!) then you are golden. Things are so much easier now. I know what I'm doing, he knows what he is doing, and we just enjoy all the many feedings during our days and nights. It is such a special thing and I love every second of it. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan